2016 will see the fourth running of “The Longest Day Down”
...and having raised over £60,000 so far for Cancer Research UK over the last three years, deciding to run the event again has been an easy decision.
The basic format of the event has proven to be very popular and will remain the same for 2016. Full details of the “Rules” can be found here but the key information is as follows.
- The event will take place between Sunrise and Sunset on 21st June 2016
- Motorcycles must cost no more than £300 (not including the cost of insurance, MOT, tyres or brakes)
- Motorcycles must hold a valid MOT certificate
- No modifications to the fuel system at all.
- Riders must use a designated route
- The cost of taking part in the event will be £300
- Places are limited to 25
- Accommodation and on the road support is provided
However, there is one key difference to LDD16, and that is it will be run from Lands End to John O’Groats. After careful consideration, and lessons learned, specifically regarding the facilities available at each end of the route, the basic plan is as follows
- Riders to gather at the Lands End visitor centre on the afternoon of June 20th for awards, photography, riders briefing and “Sign on”.
- “Ceremonial Start” will lead riders a couple of miles to Penzance whereupon everyone will stay at a Premier Inn.
- Sunrise on 21st June, riders will set off for John O’Groats
- Sometime later, riders will arrive at the “Natural Retreats” luxury log cabin accommodation at John O’Groats.
As with previous years, places will be awarded on a first come first served basis. We will open the book on 29 Jan 2016 (to give everyone a chance to recover after Christmas), and take non-refundable deposits of £100 per rider.
In the meantime, to register your interest in either taking part or volunteering to help host LDD16, e-mail John McAvoy at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is Colin Raeside...
He was a long time friend of The Longest Day Down, taking part in the very first one in 2013, and then helping as a volunteer every year after. He lost a long battle with cancer not too long ago and so this will be the first ever LDD without Colin. Therefore, with the blessing of his family, we will be dedicating the 2016 event to him.
How it all began
It was on a motorcycle forum that Kevin Wilson first suggested...
The Challenge has been a massive success in previous years...
Let's beat cancer sooner. Raising funds for Cancer Research...